Blueberries have always been one of my favourite fruits. A delicious little ball of superfood packed with antioxidants and all sorts of goodness. I had some frozen ones in my freezer that needed to be used up, so I finally got to make something I've had my eye on for a while now- a Blueberry and Lemon Loaf from Taste. Sooo good!
Blueberry and Lemon Loaf from Taste.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 170g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (180g) caster sugar
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (120g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 cup (100g) Lucky almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs milk
- 150g fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup (125g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C. Line a 10cm x 20 cm loaf pan with nonstick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, caster sugar and lemon rind until it is pale and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs gradually. Fold in the flour, almond meal, baking powder and milk.
- Fold in the blue berries. Spoon into the pan. Smooth the surface. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until crumbs cling to a skewer when inserted. Set aside for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon over the cake. Set aside to set.
Mine certainly didn't need 1 hour and 10 minutes, in fact I probably could have pulled it out after 50 minutes. This loaf has a perfect citrusy tang to it and next time I think I'll thrown in around 200g of blueberries instead of 150g. I took this into work for morning tea, where it was scoffed down instantly with a cup of tea. This one was definitely a winner!