Once upon a time, a girl started writing a blog. She did it mainly to keep in touch with family, to keep the loneliness at bay while she was dealing with a newborn, and simply to have a record of her and her Little Lion's life to look back on.
Then, as she began to work part time, and her little blog began to grow in terms of readers and opportunities, she began to struggle with keeping of multitude of metaphorical balls in the air. Something needed to be done before she broke, and watched them all come crashing down one by one, shards of glass strewn all over the floor.
I realised this month that I seriously needed to reassess the way I schedule and run my life. I'm thrilled with how this little space is taking off, and my post last Thursday was a real eye-opener for me (thank you so much to all those who commented, your words were all so thoughtful) but I needed to sit down and create a few rules for myself. No longer do I just post here and there with whatever daily rambles come out of my head, but I try to make a concerted effort to keep each post interesting, relevant and engaging to you all. Now obviously, this takes a hell of a lot more time, and to my disappointment I realised that I was taking away time from the Little Lion, which is the very last thing I ever want to do.
So now, I've placed limits on myself. How have I done this?
- Get the housework out of the way in the morning, instead of sitting on the couch in PJ's to read blogs. I know which one I'd prefer to be doing, but getting everything done as soon as I'm up means I can exhale, and enjoy the rest of the day! It also means more blogging time later on, which is when I'm in more of a writing mood.
- When cooking on Monday, make enough to freeze for the week. Those days that I leave at 7am and come home at 5pm mean that I'm wrecked, and can barely think about what to make for myself, let alone for the Little Lion and his allergies. So much easier to have something to defrost for those three days!
- I now make sure I limit the time I spend on the laptop, and spend loads of quality time with the Little Lion. Only during nap time do I blog, or after he falls asleep at night. I create my blocks while he paints or reads, we take walks into town and attend swimming lessons on Tuesdays. He will be turning three in July, and our days together, just the two of us, are dwindling down which scares me. I never want to look back and think that I could have done a better job.
- Schedule posts for the days I work, unless I suddenly have something super urgent or from the heart that I just really really wanna talk about.
- I go for my super long runs on Saturday mornings when Mr Hummingbird is home to watch the Little Lion, and either do a Jillian Workout or a session on the elliptical when he arrives home from work. I try to walk as much as I can to keep my fitness level up.
I treat my blog now as my second job. I absolutely adore my current teaching job, and can't see myself leaving it in the foreseeable future, so now it's a matter of striking the right balance between work, blogging, the Little Lion, Mr Hummingbird, running, my artwork and simply stuff that I want to do. When I just want to read a book, or an episode of a TV series.
It's difficult, but I'm getting there slowly. Time management is key, and I'm getting to be quite sufficient at multitasking. I tell you what though, when it comes to the Little Lion, I will always catch the ball. There's no way I'll be dropping that one in favour of another one.
So tell me, what's your best tip when it comes to keeping organised and your life balanced?