Have you ever had one of those moments when doing the wonderful and exhilarating chore of grocery shopping that you buy bulk of one item, thinking you had none at home? And then you start to unpack at home and you find that you had a whole draw of them stashed away? Yep, that's me. For some reason I thought we were out of carrots... and now I have two whole bags full of carrots. Half a crisper draw. It was time to vamoose those carrots away into something delectable. From there came the inspiration to whip up a carrot slice thanks to Taste.com
After greasing a slice tin and preheating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, throw together 3/4 cup of raw sugar, 175ml of oil and 3 eggs.
Once combined, grate a large carrot and throw it in along with a handful of raisins and the zest of one orange. Sift in 175g of self raising flour, a couple of shakes of nutmeg and cinnamon and one teaspoon of bicarb soda. (On a side note- how awesomely smooth and soft does my hair look? I had a Keratin treatment done, more on that later!) Stir that sucker until just combined.
And pause- photo op time!
Pour all that gooey mixture into a pan and let the oven do it's thang for around 20-25 minutes. You'll find that it's cooked to perfection once it's springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. This is one super quick and easy recipe to do which is just the type I'm looking for when it comes to baking with the Little Lion. The slice itself is actually quite light, but I felt it needed a tad bit more injection of flavour. Perfect little afternoon snack with a cup of Chai though!
Want the full recipe? Check it out below!
Carrot Slice from Taste
- 3/4 cup (165g) raw sugar
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large carrot (about 140g), grated
- 100g raisins
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar (to ice, optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 28cm x 18cm slice pan.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the sugar, oil and egg in a large bowl, then stir in the carrot, raisins and zest. Sift in flour, soda and spices. Stir to just combine, then pour into the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- If making icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl and stir with 1-2 teaspoons warm water to form a smooth, soft icing. Drizzle over slice with a teaspoon, then leave to set for 10 minutes. Alternatively, dust with 2 tbs sifted icing sugar. Cut into 12 bars.
- Store for 2-3 days in an airtight container.